The Tax team is responsible for external and internal corporate tax reporting, compliance, provision and audit defense as well as providing strategic consulting for the Firm. The Tax Manager supports the overall function by understanding the team and firm’s strategic priorities and managing tax personnel and corporate tax projects to achieve those priorities. The team today consists of one director, one manager, three senior analysts, and two interns. This role will report to the Tax Director and is a replacement due to a promotion within the team. Tax is viewed internally as a ‘value generating’ function.
As a Tax Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Managing Baird’s corporate tax compliance obligations and tax calendar, including federal, international and state and local obligations. Substantial involvement in the provision for income tax for financial reporting purposes;
- Supervising tax seniors, directly or indirectly, who are responsible for preparing most workpapers, returns and other data and documentation to meet Baird’s federal, international and state compliance obligations;
- Reviewing workpapers, returns, tax filings, tax payments, and related documentation;
- Managing the monthly and annual calculation of the effective tax rate (ETR). Reviewing and forecasting changes in the ETR. Managing required tax disclosures, footnotes, and external auditor requests for regulatory and financial reporting purposes;
- Overseeing tax projects and monitoring internal and external tax review and analysis of those projects;
- Conducting research as needed and sharing in the team’s responsibility to stay abreast of tax law changes;
- Assisting with audit responses (federal, state income tax, sales & use, property, employment);
- Regularly communicating and meeting with personnel throughout Baird, in order to achieve strategic priorities, manage risk, and respond to questions;
- Mentoring the continued development of the tax team’s technical skills, business judgement and understanding of Baird’s businesses.
What makes this a great opportunity:
- Baird is a great place to work earning recognition for 17 consecutive years on FORTUNE magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For® list;
- Associate-ownership structure offers the opportunity to participate financially in the success of the firm;
- Long-tenured associates with very low turnover;
- Unique culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives while emphasizing teamwork and a strong sense of partnership;
- A firm-wide commitment to innovation and continuous improvement which encourages new ideas and drives better outcomes;
- Long track record of growth as an organization leads to opportunities to tackle new challenges and grow as a professional;
- A commitment to talent development and the support and flexibility to grow and be your best at work, at home, and in the community.
What we will look for:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Taxation with a CPA and/or Juris Doctorate preferred;
- A minimum of 10 years tax experience; public accounting experience a plus;
- Knowledge of multi-state tax compliance; international tax reporting experience a plus;
- Proficient understanding of accounting for income taxes;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including proactive communication;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to take ownership of a project;
- Outstanding business judgement and the ability to identify and understand issues/opportunities and make recommendations based on the analysis and consideration of the tax regulations and the practical business implications and risk to the organization;
- Ability to motivate, engage and drive team results, delegate work, and professionally hold yourself and others accountable in order to achieve goals and targeted results;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, but also able to adjust priorities when appropriate;
- A true team-player with ability to work well with various styles;
- Ability to effectively lead, develop and influence team members.